Monday, February 25, 2008

The Deal With The Media (The New Paper, Sports Pages)

I'm sure all of you reading this are Singaporean, or at least I think so. Anyway, I hope some of you read The New Paper. Well, for you guys I know most of you either flip the pages hoping to see a picture of some attractive lady or turn to the back and read their coverage of sports.

Now the issue I'm raising is the bias and, to me personally, the subjective nature the press has on football. For this paper, its always about Liverpool and, to a lesser extent, Man Utd. Now, I like those to teams, in fact I think they're great but the way the New Paper has edited the back pages makes me have to remind myself I'm not in Liverpool. If you pick up the New Paper after fixtures of matches have been played, you will find yourself reading extensive reports on Liverpool. Even if they've lost or won or drew, there must be that big graphic post match analysis on the game. Almost everytime I do that, that's what I read. You open the back pages and you find yourself reading...

"Hmm...Torres is great (personally I do think he's good)" or "Rafalution (or some petty excuse to give Liverpool fans a glimmer of hope)" or "Hicks and Gillet blah blah blah" or "Gerrard is something something". You get me. It doesn't stop there! Then there's the 2 or 3 page coverage of the post-match analysis or something like that. Blah blah blah blah.

I'm not angry at Liverpool (I'm an Arsenal fan btw, I've got enough problems wanting a team of school boys to win a trophy) or Liverpool fans. I just am not happy with the way The New Paper edits its papers. There's millions of stories on Liverpool.

Also, another thing is the treatment of Chelsea. Come on...Real Madrid, and you start giving them loads of credit. "Oh Real this and Real that" and "Galacticos that and whatever", but they are great though. And when it comes to Chelsea, "Evil Abramovich or something" and "Unhappy Chelsea Camp". You get me, they give Chelsea all the bad press. But that was the past and less and less or Chelsea being bad is turning up. I can understand that good news is no news, I have to admit.

Lastly, Arsenal. Why is my beloved club given too little press? Arsenal won by a big margin...surprise, surprise...Liverpool hogs the headlines with their 0-0 draw. Arsenal progress through cup! But no...Riise was robbed. Same with other little known teams being robbed of their limelight. Some team donates to charity! But no...the New Paper gets exclusive coverage of Ronaldo's life or something.

I'm probably gonna get blasted for this post...

No comments: