Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Being Mixed Blood(ed?)

Well, there are great things to learn about your hieratage and past. I've learnt that mine is from all over the place. Coming from a scattered background would sound interesting and wonderful, but trust me its really confusing and difficult...you'll see.


Anyway, I'm a mix of Malay, Indian, Thai and Chinese. Mix those up and you get...pfffff....voila me. Not something to be proud of but...So, my paternal side's mainly Malay with some Indonesian hieratage or something like that. Then my maternal side's the tricky one. My maternal grandfather's roots lay in Southern India and grandma's got Chinese and Thai roots. So basically that makes me....confused. And the really weird part is my second language, along with my brother, is French. Go figure...


Anyway, language is also a problem. Despite the fact that I speak French, I don't speak any of my forefather's languages. Well, I do know Malay...but really miniscule. The weird part is people think I'm Chinese. On the streets, unsuspecting aunties come to me speaking in Mandarin. I just look like an idiot just smiling hoping something would happen. They often say: "lai boy..." and drift off in their native tongues...while I stand gobsmacked and smile like a fool. I don't mock them, I smile because its nice...you know a consolation like: Sorry I don't know what you're saying but here's a friendly smile.


Another strange part is people trying to guess you're background during conversations or dinners. "Are you local?", "You're Malay? Chinese?", "Are you gonna finish that?" or whatever...It's nice to get attention, I have to admit. Anyways, people start guessing you're background with your facial features or the way you talk. I'm not good-looking...but for some reason, people analyze my features. Its almost like they're deciphering a code which is located on my eyes, nose or mouth. Again, its flattering...but when a girl does that, I feel like saying: You really have low taste, don't you honey?. Another thing...I speak differently from most people from my country. I don't always use certain terms like 'la' or whatever...but by god...I do swear, and I'm proud to say it! But just not here tho... Religion aswell...loads of people tell me that they could have never have guessed I am from the religion I am from...even me. They go.."NO! Really? I wouldn't have ever knew that..." Doesn't really matter...I follow the rules and stuff...but I'm not a REAL practicing person of my faith.


There you go...that's the fun of being mixed blood. You'll definitely get attention that's for damn sure. And the confusion and communication breakdown with people who mistake you for a person of a different race is sometimes really funny...having them confused is not nice, but its still worthy of a laugh.

No comments: