Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Music Scene In Singapore, by someone who doesn't seem to know alot about it

Music scene in Singapore. More scene than music. Yes, that is true. Loads of guys leaning to pop music and having no identity. WARNING: This article is really subjective and bias...Do not read if you are easily offended. Really...I'm warning you!

If you are reading this...its either you can't listen to instructions or you really can't be bothered and have loads of free time...Well, anyway...Music in Singapore is very mixed. Mixed in the sense that you have very strong sides in which voice their opinion. For example...the only way to fucking survive as a musician is to play fucked up boring tradiotional songs. Either that or to play the screwed up aristocratical show-off opera music. Why am I so tough on these genres...well, I'm not happy with the fact 'child prodigy' is a term given to children who can play classical music. Why can't heavy-metal musicians who are teens be labelled as 'child prodigy'? Why? Is it because the person who labels them as such is a bias old hag who feels that children who are inclined toward their, their meaning the old person's music, is therefore applicable to that term?

Come on honestly...Blues guitarists Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page and Don Felder made their mark from not so fortunate backgrounds. Those fellas had to be self-taught and learn the trade by their teens. They couldn't afford to be classically trained, yet their impact on music is fucking bigger. Eventhough they acheived fame later in their lives, they have impacted future generations. Yet however, people are still claiming to be progressive and all that crap but still are more inclined to favouring some boy or girl whose family could afford an education on music which bores people. You argue...o, you are to hard on this music...but honestly, how many of you actually listen to Mozart or Bach or Vivaldi? I have and I am lucky to even be here typing this...I thought I'd never be alive.

If you want flair and musical prowess...listen to Jazz or Blues. Jazz musicians have so much flair that will bedazzled by their improvisational skills. Same with blues...These types of music do not have to be beautifully composed on a piece of paper and made correct till there is no life. No! Jazz and Blues is strictly improvisation. How the piece makes you feel you play it. You don't need an orchestrator who is ridiculously paid to tell you how a note should be played. No! You decide and play it as you feel. Expression is what they orchestrator is paid for...he basically shows you how to express the piece...well therefore if he is getting paid for that, why not you show your own feel of the piece? How? By playing Blues and Jazz.

Another thing I've noticed about music here is the sense of identity loss. People here are zombies who know noting of other genres till a new genre becomes mainstream or 'pop'. Now its Indie music...why? Cos teens here are only aware of MTV and Billboards. Its not MTV's fault...Its the teens. Why can't they have their own mind and choose what they wanna hear? Instead of some DJ putting a record on which is mildy popular overseas and then someone claims that the song is great and others follow in. Its bonkers! If you really appreciate Indie and are a big fan...I salute you. But to those who are just innit for the crowd...Buzz off. Honestly...If you wanna know the most honest music, by the way...its Metal. I'm not a fan of Metal but I appreciate its honesty. If the singer is pissed...he'll sing it pissed. It simple and crystal clear.

Some people are pathetic...they don't even realise music existed 5 weeks ago. All they know is what's hot and popular. By the way...I never really liked "Hey There Delila" or whatever. I thought "Vincent" or listening to Cat Power was miles better. But..hey...that's just me.

Being a guitarist or guitar player sucks ass now. It used to be...O, I play guitar thank you. You could get away feeling smug...but now you see shit loads of novice players. Its not that I don't like them, its just its damn lame now knowing that there are others how share the same skill as you do. But what I do like about that is...I'm different. I'm a follower of Blues. So, my foundations lie on Blues...Not many Blues guitarists in Singapore. I might not be one of the best...not by a long shot...but at least I have a sense of identity. Loads of guys carry guitars claiming how good they are...but if you jam with them...you get more fun talking to an egg. They really have no knowledge of playing their own songs or improvising. All they depend on is a computer screen to direct them on which string and fret to press. All they know is chopping strings up with harsh struming and power chords. I should know...I'm not a good guitarist but I do know my basics and I know basic and common scales and all that stuff...but when I jam with people who claim to be good guitar players...they haven't got a clue what a scale is. Its mad!

After all this and that...I have to say...I see now why classically trained musicians are better in life. At least they know their shit. Its not a fad for them. Unlike all the rest who go...O, I like this song and ooo, I like this one better. But what I want is to see a talented group rise and become successful from Singapore. I don't mean Electrico...honestly do you know any of their songs? If you do...sing it. No? Fine, see my point. But for now...its still all a dream. More like a nightmare to be honest...I always wanted to be a session musician...but looks like I'll end up an animator or something I don't enjoy.

No comments: